Monday, May 07, 2007

Can't Do Without

I was going to do this on Pat's blog, but thought it was worth a post. Here are my ten "Can't Do Without" songs:


  1. "The State I am In" - Belle and Sebastian: There's something about the sailor friend and being gay and all this other great stuff that really sings to me in this song. I love "Expectations" too, but this song just tops it for me for some reason.


  2. "Y Teimlad" - Super Furry Animals: I don't know what this song does to me, but it makes me happy. When I actually get to do some of my own choreography that is not related to a cheesy musical, I will do THIS song.


  3. "Rio" - Mike Nesmith: You KNEW I was going to have to include at least one Monkees related song on here. This song is dreamy and beautiful and has a killer drum machine beat. Sweet video on "Elephant Parts", too.


  4. Almost anything by Josh Ritter: I listened to Josh Ritter obsessively for the two weeks before my inevitable labor was induced. It really helped my spirits and makes me happy.


  5. "Canada" - Low: No question, this song rocks! Almost everything on this album gets stuck in my head at one time or another. But this one rocks the most!


  6. "Filipino Box Spring Hog" - Tom Waits: Again, almost anything by TW, but this song always makes me want to jam along to the funky wah wah guitar that is not on the album, but was definitely there in concert.


  7. "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead: Thanks to Pat, I love this song. It reminds me inevitably of Los Angeles.


  8. "My Doorbell" or "Hotel Yorba" - White Stripes: I couldn't choose which one of these either. Almost anything on "Get Behind Me Satan" makes me want to kick back with a jug of moonshine and a washboard rhythm section so I can jam with Jack and Meg.


  9. "Dear Doctor" - Rolling Stones: Don't tell Michael, but I LOVE the Stones. This is another song that requires lots of moonshine to really appreciate, but almost anyone can sing it and sound just as good as Mick.


  10. "4th Time Around" - Bob Dylan: It's hard to pick a Dylan song, but this one makes me just want to waltz and play. Of course almost all of "Blood on the Tracks" makes me feel that way too. "Idiot Wind" definitely needs a good dance choreographed to it.



So, I left off Beatles and any actual Monkees' songs and "Pink Moon" and all of those other great pieces of music. Maybe I should have done 15 instead. Oh well. I need to rush off to "Little Shop of Horrors" rehearsal. Yes, it's true, I am actually working with adults! More importantly, the are adults who can dance. Woohoo!! I am waaaay too excited about this. In fact, I may be the only person involved in this show who is really excited. We'll see after tonight if I am so excited...

5 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Does choreographing adults mean that there's no gossip on stage or that the gossip is actually interesting?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Brendon Etter said...

Dylan and Radiohead... no way!

Of course, you choreographed Cinderella, which had plenty of adults and older teens, about the same demographic as your Little Shop cast...

Maybe you're going by average age, in which case, you won't be happy until you choregraph the nursing home doing State Fair.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Circe said...

Bleeet missed that I was only saying that I was once again choreographing a show with adults. There are only three performers in the show who are in High School. I think that's less than Cinderella. BTW - Bleeet rocked in Cinderella. In fact, Cinderella pretty much rocked. Yup.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Busy moms
have no time to post.
I shall cry.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Brendon Etter said...

Hey, Ann reminded me that "Heroes" by Bowie was your favorite song.... n'est-ce pas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home